[MUD-Dev] [DGN] MUD Books

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Sun Jun 2 15:14:17 CEST 2002

While I haven't read the MUD specific one, I can talk to two of the
ones I have read...

On Fri, 31 May 2002, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> generically, what can anyone tell me about about "Swords &
> Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games",

This book didn't make it past the 'bookstore skim' test.  It was
shallow, and didn't provide anything worthwhile to me.  While I may
be opening myself to flames here, that's consistent with just all of
the LaMothe books I've read.

> "MultiPlayer Game Programming",

The first (and last) LaMothe book I bought, this one looked
initially to be decent, but devolved quickly into a surface level
description of some real basics of network and 3d programming.
Waste of money.

Some folks may find the LaMothe books to be worthwhile, but, after
my first bad experience with MPGP, I haven't bought any more.  I've
skimmed them, but every one seems to be focused at the raw newbie.
More bang for you buck (and time) by skimming a tutorial site on the
net, or reading SDK documentation.

My $0.02 ;)