[MUD-Dev] Gossip, fiction and tactical lore

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jul 31 21:42:34 CEST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, John Buehler wrote:

> I look forward to the first game that explicitly acknowledges the
> existence of the player in addition to the character within the
> overall context of the game. This means things like having the
> ability to contact a player by name instead of contacting them by
> character name.  Or player-to-player voice communication.  There's
> a reason that we didn't bother much with characters talking to
> each other in our D&D days.  The player conversations were far
> more fun.

But characters don't have conversations in the sense I think you're
using it. Players already do, using the characters as mouthpieces
and semi-anonymous masks. I don't think most people would play a
game that required them to make their real name available to other
people, and without that requirement, you have to have some way to
identify people. A character name seems as good as any to me.

--matt