[MUD-Dev] web-based MUD editing tools?

John Bertoglio jb at co-laboratory.com
Wed Jul 31 20:22:50 CEST 2002

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <>

> MUDs are often programmed by editing local files on the mudhost,
> like lpmud *.c files and so forth.  Giving wizards easy remote
> access to such files without giving them carte blanche over the
> mud server is a challenge.  Has anyone met that challenge using
> web-based editing tools?  Like, you fire up a webpage that points
> at the mud, you manipulate files from that web interface, and hey
> presto the mud gets changed?  Seems like someone somewhere would
> have done something more feature-laden and cross-platform than the
> telnet drill by now.

Brandon:

Our system (which I am working on again) is 100% web-based. (The old
version has some obsolete but potentially useful information:
http://www.paper.net/mud/).  There is no reason why the same tools
we use could not be made to work with a standard mud.

The database/app sever program we use the ability to open files,
parse them, build a HTML page and send it to a user. The user then
makes the edits and sends it back. After the system checks for a
valid user account/login, it reassembles the file and puts it back
in the proper place.

Any web based app server can do this as long as its command set (or
that of the database it connects to) allows it to read and write
files. It could be as simple as allowing you to download the text
file and upload the edited version. We have a client project right
now that uses Miva Merchant which has a funky dBase backend. You
down load an XML doc and edit it. Their back end parses and compiles
it into the proper scripting language to run the system. We use a
simple HTML upload screen to move it up to the server.

All the mud lib would need is the ability to listen for a "recompile
button" to know it is time to use the new code assuming it is
compiled and not interpreted.

John A. Bertoglio
co-laboratory
503.781.3563