[MUD-Dev] Alternative Hit Point Systems?

Sage sage at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 31 16:42:07 CEST 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Jack Britt wrote:

> I'm trying to find alternatives to the AD&D-style of hit points
> but I'm not having much luck. Couldn't find anything on google,
> and can't seem to come up with anything on the mud-dev archives
> (although this is probably due to my inability to do a decent
> search.)

> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or concepts for a
> different way of doing hit points?

I am not sure how different you are looking for.  You could use a
system whereby there are actually N number of different versions of
health.  All attacks would attack only one of these "types" of
health.  So you could diversify in this way.  Of course I think
keeping N low is very important... at most 4 or 3 IMO.  Players
would be allowed to grow in one of these types of health based on
their own choices.  Gives you the ability to really diversify your
combat from encounter to encounter depending on how you implement
attack types and growth.

Still, this isn't anything but a variation on the theme, so I don't
know how helpful this was.

-Sage