[MUD-Dev] java clients

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Wed Jul 31 10:45:54 CEST 2002

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> There was a thread recently (a month or two ago? I was unable to
> locate it with a quick archive search.) talking about java clients
> for text MUDs and complaining about the general lack of ability to
> resize the window, change the size of the font, etc. We were
> curious about whether there was any real reason you couldn't do
> this, so went ahead and did it.

> The bad news was that I should have listened to something
> Christopher Allen told me. He said they (Skotos) had investigated
> expanding a java client they have for more general use, but ran
> into a lot of problems with Java, and man was he right. We have
> been unable, for instance, to enable any sort of copying from the
> output window into a clipboard, and are also unable to log
> anything to the player's computer. This inability alone basically
> renders Java unsuitable for a full-featured text MUD client.

Is your client a Java desktop application or a Java applet?  I'm not
a Java master but if it's a Java desktop application, then you can
write to files on the player's computer.  If it's an applet, then
it's part of the security of Java applets not to let it write
anything on the client's disk.  If I were you I would have developed
a standalone C++ client where you have full control over the
features you want.  In the case of Skotos I guess they implemented
some of their games with an ActiveX interface that gets included in
Internet Explorer and lets you have browser's capabilities merged
with a standalone client. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

--
Valerio Santinelli
One Man Crew Gaming Community (http://www.onemancrew.org)