[MUD-Dev] =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Re=3A_Hangul_=28was_Re=3A_R=E9f=2E_=3A_RE=3A_?= =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?=5BMUD-Dev=5D_Mass__customization__in_MM***s=29?=

Sean Kelly sean at hoth.ffwd.cx
Wed Jul 31 09:35:25 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Travis Casey wrote:
> On Thursday 25 July 2002 3:01, Damion Schubert wrote:

>> I don't know exactly what the language font for Korean is, but if
>> you go into any Korean Lineage server, you'll see a lot of
>> symbols above the heads of characters which aren't latin
>> Characters by any stretch of the imagination.

> The major writing system in Korea is called Hangul.  It is a
> syllabary -- each symbol represents a particular syllable.  This
> means it has a lot more characters than English (which builds
> syllables from multiple characters), but nowhere near as many as
> traditional Chinese writing, in which a symbol corresponds to a
> particular word.

However Chinese is monosyllabic and the base part of each symbol
represents the phonetic sound.  This is the same, so far as I know,
for all words represented by this sound.  The rest of the word (some
added bits in the upper right, I think) represents meaning or
context modifiers to the symbol to differentiate each word from its
generic phonetic base.

Japanese is odd because it is a polysyllabic language but they
adapted the Chinese writing system for their use, so they have
multiple symbols per word (even for the non purely phonetic writing
form... I can never keep the names straight).

Interestingly enough, the Mayan language is much like Chinese.
There's a book out about the decipherment of Mayan that's
fascinating, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Sean