[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Koster Koster
Tue Jul 30 20:43:11 CEST 2002

From: John Robert Arras

> I just posted a response to the previous response to my message
> that essentially covers this point. I like the idea of your
> guilds. They aren't official positions. Their power comes from the
> players who respect those positions, not from the developers who
> created a position and let a player earn or gain the position
> somehow. Allow the politics and power to emerge from within the
> game. Allow players to organize and band together for a common
> purpose. Let these bands of players oppose and ally with other
> bands of players. Let the politics flow naturally from the rules
> of the game. These are some of the things that I want to see. I
> just don't want to see players given positions of power that were
> set up by the developers.

Well, there's countless guild and clan structures like that working
in muds and MMORPGs these days. The days when the guilds or clans
were set up by the developers in advance seem to be gone. I know
when I started mudding, that's how it was, by and large--guilds had
to be set up by admins. But most every game I see now lets players
form guilds arbitrarily...

I will quibble with the notion that this is democratic,
though. Usually, these guilds are the fruit of a single individual's
efforts, and losing them usually leads to it crumbling away. It's
not often that I have seen a guild or town survive the loss of its
founder or leader. I attribute this in part to the fairly small
scale of the social organizations in these games...

-Raph