[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Derek Licciardi kressilac at insightBB.com
Sun Jul 28 12:13:37 CEST 2002

From: Damion Schubert
> From szii at sziisoft.com

>> I also started CS late....about 2 months ago, in fact.

>> The difference between us?  I'm willing to get in there and
>> scrap, even when it means losing.  You don't get better by
>> quitting (CS, EQ, chess, craps, etc).

> Sure.  But you know what?  The mass market lacks your patience.  I
> went through that same learning curve to get good at the games
> that I am already good at (Unreal Tournament, LMCTF, etc), and I
> didn't relish starting at the bottom of the ladder again.  Many
> people are unwilling to start at the bottom of that ladder the
> first time.

> PvP is frequently overwhelming to the new player.  You can get
> attacked anywhere at any time.  You're at a disadvantage because
> you lack character skill (low level).  You're at a disadvantage
> because you lack player skill (knowledge on how to win).  You
> don't have a pack to run around with yet.  You're fighting with
> cruddy stock weapons.

> Will there be a handful of players who persevere through those
> odds in order to be as good as other players?  Sure.  It will be a
> handful of people.  In some games, it requires little more than
> tenacity.  In others, however, it requires that you quit your job
> and focus on learning the game full-time.

> And when players log onto a game and realize that, not only are
> they on the bottom of the ladder, but that it will take hours and
> hours of camping and learning in order to stand on even ground
> with their counterpart, they will make a decision as to whether or
> not this game is worth their tenacity.

It seems to me like some of the issues you mentioned here could be
counteracted by giving the new players a means through which to find
a group to run around with before they even get in the game.  If a
newbie has some meaning to the ability of the group then the group
would actively seek out the newbie to be part of their group.  I'm
thinking cities and such that gain a population benefit.  Not that
this would solve what you are saying but the immediate acceptance
into a group should go a long way towards reducing the effects.  To
me all it would take is a set of gameplay elements that encourage
veteran players and groups to mentor newbies.

I'm thinking things like selecting a guild or a city to belong to
during character creation from a list of guilds that have open
membership policies.  Allowing veteran characters a specific set of
experience that is derived from helping newbies. *shrug* the
possibilities haven't been explored by any of the big MMOs out there
to date.  Hell, I usually remember the people that helped me out
when I was a newbie.  Its a significant positive
relationship/community builder as well which usually goes towards
increasing the users tenacity.

It doesn't solve the problem but it certainly helps makes PvP less
overwhelming.

Derek