[MUD-Dev] Are gratification-based (online) societies doomed to being immatu re?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jul 26 19:00:31 CEST 2002

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Dave Rickey wrote:

> It's pretty simple.  Players need to be able to lose, and still
> have fun.  Too often, in the name of giving the winners "real
> victory" the losers are left with nothing, and therefore no reason
> to continue playing.  This was the fundamental problem with 10Six:
> New territory became playable only when a newbie entered the game
> and was utterly destroyed.  Eating your young is rarely a
> successful survival strategy.

I agree. Here's a question for you: Do you think your PvP areas in
DAoC will still be important to the playerbase in 5 years? Since
they don't have a large effect on the game if you choose to ignore
them, do you think players will get bored by the PvP that can be
labeled meaningless (that's not a criticism from me), or will the
sheer thrill of beating on other people's characters be enough?

--matt