[MUD-Dev] About Fencing (was: mass customisation)

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Thu Jul 25 11:50:46 CEST 2002

>From Marian Griffith

> From what I understand fencing is more about blocking your oppo-
> nent, and moving him into a position where you can strike, and I
> wonder if that can be done in a mud. It would slow down the pace
> but I can not help but think that it would be, in the end, more
> entertaining. And on a graphical mud, where you can actually see
> your opponent, it would look and work even better I think.

I helped design a system for LegendMUD that Raph used that made for
a combat system that was more interesting to watch.  It took
variables on the players and the room into account in order to
create meaningful combat messages.  Fighting in a desert room?  Land
a small ('scratch') blow?  Say "You grab a handful of sand and throw
it in XXX's face!"  Are you a hobbit fighting a half-giant?  The
game says "You jab XXX right in the crotch!"

Raph and co actually implemented it, and can offer feedback on how
well it worked.  I will note that, on systems that I worked on that
were similar, I noticed that uniform combat messages in text MUDs
serve a solid purpose, which is that they are easy to read when you
have a jillion combat messages flying by at light speed.  Until you
cut down on the amount you spam players from multiple attack
messages, resistance messages and other noise, please tread
carefully in this regard. ;-)

--d