[MUD-Dev] About Fencing (was: mass customisation)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jul 24 12:06:36 CEST 2002

>From Marian Griffith [mailto:gryphon at iaehv.nl]

> Mainly I am curious to know how the experience of actual fencing
> (which I have done only twice) can be translated to muds. For me
> the actual experience is *vastly* different from watching messages
> scroll by..

>   You hit the ugly troll
>   The ugly troll misses you
>   You hit the ugly troll
>   The ugly troll barely scratches you
>   ... and so on.

> From what I understand fencing is more about blocking your oppo-
> nent, and moving him into a position where you can strike, and I
> wonder if that can be done in a mud. It would slow down the pace
> but I can not help but think that it would be, in the end, more
> entertaining. And on a graphical mud, where you can actually see
> your opponent, it would look and work even better I think.

I used to fence in school and county competitions in the UK.

Frankly in fencing it doesn't take that long to land a hit
generally, so as a model for a game I don't know if its viable. Its
not nearly as full of blocking as films would have you believe. I
have this suspicion that most sword fighting would be over pretty
damned quickly if done for real.

If one looks at Epee, which is probably the closest to real dueling,
the sport is almost funny when you consider how it has adapted to
become a sport. Consider that to score points people regularly aim
for each others feet, or try to flick the tip to hit the opponents
sword holding hand.  Effective if one is trying to score points, but
not something to copy in a game I think. The other thing you do in
competitive fencing that wouldn't be too smart in the real world, is
not worry about being hit as long as you land the point first.

Dan