[MUD-Dev] About Fencing (was: mass customisation)

Dave Shepherd dshepherd at mcl-birmingham.com
Wed Jul 24 10:55:40 CEST 2002

Marion wrote:

> From what I understand fencing is more about blocking your oppo-
> nent, and moving him into a position where you can strike, and I
> wonder if that can be done in a mud. It would slow down the pace
> but I can not help but think that it would be, in the end, more
> entertaining. And on a graphical mud, where you can actually see
> your opponent, it would look and work even better I think.

When I think of ideal individual PvP, I always think of the fencing
match at the top of the Cliffs Of Despair in The Princess Bride.
There is time for conversation, the terrain has influence over the
combat, there are feints, parries and maneuvering for advantage.
There are multiple, viable styles within the same discipline.  You
don't immediately know the strength of your opponent, rather you
gain understanding as the fight plays out.  There are no one hit
kills and winning doesn't mean having to kill.  It also has a point
- Inigo wont let the Man in black pass to chase down the kidnappers
of his one true love.  And the most important thing is, I would find
being both Inigo or the Man in black 'fun'.

I don't think this kind of complexity would work well in mass PvP,
but it would be nice to try to include some of these features.

(If you haven't seen the film, I thoroughly recommend it.)

Back to lurking...

=Dave Shepherd

---excerpt from The Princess Bride---

[Slowly, a great battle ensues.  Inigo tests the Man in black, and
the Man in black tests Inigo.  They continue to battle on.]

Inigo: You are using Bonetti's Defense against me, ah?

Man in black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.

Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?

Man in black: Naturally...but I find that Thibault cancels out Capa
Ferro.  Don't you?

Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa...which I have.

[They continue to exchange attacks and parries]

Inigo: You are wonderful!

Man in black: Thank you.  I've worked hard to become so.

Inigo: I admit it, you are better than I am.

Man in black: Then why are you smiling?

Inigo: Because I know something you don't know.

Man in black: And what is that?

Inigo: [switching hands] I am not left-handed!

[Inigo switches to his right hand, and appears to overwhelm the Man
in black]

Man in black: You're amazing!

Inigo: I ought to be after twenty years.

Man in black: [struggling to keep Inigo away] There's something I
ought to tell you.

Inigo: Tell me!

Man in black: I'm not left-handed either.

[The Man in black switches to his right hand, and performs a few
amazing feats.  They stop fencing for a brief moment.]

Inigo: [in awe] Who are you?

Man in black: No one of consequence.

Inigo: I must know.

Man in black: Get used to disappointment.

Inigo: [disappointed] Okay...

[The battle rages on again, this time, the Man in black is
dominating.  The Man in black knocks the sword out of Inigo's hand,
and circles in behind him]

Inigo: [kneeling] Kill me quickly.

Man in black: I would as soon destroy a stained glass window as an
artist like yourself.  However, since I can't have you following me
either...

[The Man in black hits Inigo on the back of his head with the hilt
of his sword, knocking him out.]

Man in black: [sincerely] Please understand I hold you in the
highest respect.