[MUD-Dev] About Fencing (was: mass customisation)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Jul 19 10:57:37 CEST 2002

On Wed 17 Jul, Travis Casey wrote:
> Tuesday, July 16, 2002, 7:45:22 AM, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> No, the solution would not be to make it less significant, but to
>> give the players more control. I.e. it would not be easy if at
>> all possible, to get blown out of the sky withing seconds.  By
>> focussing less on attrition of hitpoints, and more on skill and
>> parry, then players have a lot of action to determine the outcome
>> of a fight.

>> Anybody here involved with the SCA, or otherwise skilled in the
>> arts of sword fighting?

> I've had some training and practice in sword, staff, stick, and
> unarmed fighting, and have read widely on the subject.  What sort
> of info are you looking for?

Mainly I am curious to know how the experience of actual fencing
(which I have done only twice) can be translated to muds. For me the
actual experience is *vastly* different from watching messages
scroll by..

  You hit the ugly troll
  The ugly troll misses you
  You hit the ugly troll
  The ugly troll barely scratches you
  ... and so on.

>From what I understand fencing is more about blocking your oppo-
nent, and moving him into a position where you can strike, and I
wonder if that can be done in a mud. It would slow down the pace but
I can not help but think that it would be, in the end, more
entertaining. And on a graphical mud, where you can actually see
your opponent, it would look and work even better I think.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey