[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Koster Koster
Fri Jul 19 07:18:56 CEST 2002

From: Marc LaFleur
> From: Raph Koster

>> But are casual players who do not group (eg, who form no social
>> ties) going to stick anyway?

> I'm not sure the current definition of "group" has all that much
> to do with "social ties". In most games, it simple means we all go
> into a situation together and share the rewards.

I'm using a pretty loose definition of group. In your examples in
your email, you cite getting together to trade goods, you cite
forming a guild.

The common statement seems to be "I don't like grouping, I want to
do everything solo." And doing everything solo leads to no social
ties. This is very different from what you are stating, which is "I
don't like grouping because I want to have a short play session and
traditional party-up-and-kill gameplay takes too long."

-Raph