[MUD-Dev] Boring Combat (was:Mass customization in MM***s)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jul 17 09:37:11 CEST 2002

From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

> There are some interesting possible ramifications of such a
> system.  Probably the most interesting is that "power techniques"
> may weed themselves out.  In the average MUD, players tend to seek
> out and use to exclusion the most effective damage techniques.
> Under this system, a powerful but well-known technique would be
> less effective than a good but obscure technique.

I like the idea and its something I've had in mind for a system
too. I didn't think of having bonuses/advantages if the opponent
knew/was using the form though, which is a nice idea. The forms I
was envisaging also added abilities in combat such as ability to
defend against multiple targets, or knock an opponent down etc.

My only concern with your approach is how one maintains obscurity of
technique in a large(ish) game. It tends to make me think of
Asheron's Call's (urg too many 's) spell economy where everyone knew
all the secrets after a couple of months.

Perhaps forms could be something players crafted. Extrapolating,
then one could consider the base components that forms are made up
of when seeing if they counter each other. i.e. if you were using a
self crafted for which gave you a 20% resist to knockdown (amongst
other things - higher level forms could have more components), and
they tried to use a form which gives a 20% bonus to knockdown, then
they'd nullify.

If forms were player crafted, then even more fun, there'd be
competitive disadvantage in teaching it to others. Of course you'd
be missing out on some money that way...

Dan