[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue Jul 16 12:45:22 CEST 2002

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Mon 15 Jul, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, John Buehler wrote:

>> The only people who are going to want to help out in the assault
>> on the Death Star are the ones who believe that they are going to
>> get some remarkable experience commensurate with their risk.  The
>> inability to ensure that everyone gets something worthwhile out
>> of the overall encounter is the real difficulty.  If I'm flying
>> my X-Wing fighter and get blown out of the sky in the first 10
>> seconds of the fight, am I going to be happy about having simply
>> been part of the casualties?  Especially if I've lost one of my
>> lives - which might be expensive?

> So make death relatively painless. Maybe being blown out of the
> sky only takes them out of the encounter for X period of time.

That would defeat the original point. The idea was to make the
outcome of the fight matter to the players. By making it pain- less
to be defeated the outcome is unimportant, just as dying is now on
most muds.

No, the solution would not be to make it less significant, but to
give the players more control. I.e. it would not be easy if at all
possible, to get blown out of the sky withing seconds.  By focussing
less on attrition of hitpoints, and more on skill and parry, then
players have a lot of action to determine the outcome of a fight.

Anybody here involved with the SCA, or otherwise skilled in the arts
of sword fighting?

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,