[MUD-Dev] A Question on PvP and PK

Eli Stevens listsub at wickedgrey.com
Mon Jul 15 23:09:57 CEST 2002

Ron Gabbard <rgabbard at swbell.net> wrote:

> PK switches, PK servers/non-PvP servers, PvP areas, etc...

> Some people point at the number of 'carebear' servers EQ/AC has
> versus the number of PvP servers as proof that people prefer
> non-PK environments.  However, if you go over to DAoC, most
> players consider RvR the 'best part of the game' and consider PvE
> a necessary evil in order to get to RvR.  They are both very
> successful games with very large and very broad player bases.
> However, they are contradictory 'proof' of the player's desire to
> participate in PvP combat.

> Why is it that 5% of the EQ players (slightly more for AC) want to
> participate in PvP combat while 95% of the DAoC players want to
> participate in PvP combat when the games are pretty similar with
> similar customer bases?

Your question is somewhat loaded however, because of the implication
that the two PK systems are the same.  DAoC's RvR is not a
free-for-all, and it was a focus of the game design / balance from
the start.  DAoC basically implements a PK switch that can be turned
on and off almost at will (by entering or leaving the frontier areas
/ PK dungeon).  My understanding of the EQ PK servers is that other
PKs can come to you anywhere in the world, at any time (is this
correct?).

I suspect that what we are actually seeing is _not_ that there is an
odd distribution of PK-oriented players, rather that there is a
general pull toward being the hunter and a strong aversion to being
prey.  Control is the key here.  Almost never does a player engage
in RvR in DAoC _unless_ it is on the player's terms, which makes it
much more palatable.

To continue the disussion...  DAoC has done pretty well with
zone-based, large team PK.  What other methods are there that allow
players to manage their risk in (limited?) PK environments?

Just ramblin'

Eli

--
Give a man some mud, and he plays for a day.
Teach a man to mud, and he plays for a lifetime.