[MUD-Dev] Mass customization in MM***s

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Jul 12 20:50:34 CEST 2002

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Thu 11 Jul, John Buehler wrote:

> it knowing that the Death Star is coming our way and that we have
> a collective fight on our hands.  If we win, then I was there.  I
> did something to help.  If we lose, perhaps my character survives
> to tell the story of what went wrong and how we need to put down
> the Empire.  (The Death Star use is a problem in that it
> catastrophically wipes out whole planets, precluding
> non-miraculous 'survival', but you get my point)

Actually, I tend to think that the death star is an excellent way to
make the fight very, very meaningful to the players involved. But to
work it needs a different approach to games than you normally see.
Players would purchase an account with a number of 'lifes' to it. If
they lose all lifes the account is cancelled, and they have to buy a
new account to resume playing. In compensation the game world is not
really out to kill the character.  Players can happily spend their
time on a little backwater planet and never be bothered by anything,
much the same way nothing much is going to bother you or me in real
life.  However, if they become involved in the game's main politics,
then they are likely to get into a fight, and those deaths are per-
manent. That way the big assault on the rebel stronghold is going to
mean a great deal to the players defending it, seeing that if they
lose they are one step closer to being forced to reinvest in the
game.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,