[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights (Was: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?)

Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Mon Jul 8 13:17:10 CEST 2002

At 10:48 AM 7/6/02 +0200, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> But there is more to NWN. People are already building servers for
> persistant worlds. I am one of those and I'm confident that it can
> be done with the tools that come with NWN.

> In NWN you can assign local variables to each character in order
> to track quests completion and similar things. The problem is that
> when the server saves the character, it does not save those
> variables.

As one of the people who has a persistant world up and running my
biggest problem early on was the inability to save those local
variables.  Obviously the most elegent solution would be for bioware
to attach those variables like this to the character, but myself and
many other builders have found some nice workarounds.

The most obvious route for the builder is to run quests EQ style.
The guy gives you a note.  You take the note someone else and get a
key.  You use the key to get into the boss's lair. You take the boss
head back to the guy.  It's all item driven, and the items are saved
with the character.

Some other people have done some rather clever things like assigning
values to the hidden natural weapons and natural armor slots on the
player, or making an inassessable zone and filling it with items
that hold the values of whatever variables they need to save.
Daggerof PlayerBob_Quest7_Step3 ... heh