[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights (Was: The Future of MMOGs... what's next?)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Jul 2 17:40:22 CEST 2002

From: shren [mailto:shren at io.com]

> That, or let players play whatever they like, which is an
> interesting concept I wonder if anyone's tried yet.

Well it turns out this discussion is fairly moot as I was missing
the point of how NWN works when I wrote my parts of the above.

NWN isn't a tool for creating an MMORPG or MUD, its a tool for
creating traditional PnP style modules that people can drop into,
complete and then move on somewhere else. Since you, as the designer
can set the level range of your module, it makes no odds if someone
cheated to get their character to that level.

Furthermore, items have level restrictions on them based on their
properties. This means that if someone creates a 'vorpal sword+20
immunity to everything' they aren't going to be able to equip it on
a normal server, unless the host explictly turns off that
restriction.

Unlike a lot of multiplayer games, its not about your characters
level or equipment, its all about experiencing the module. Something
I tend to lose sight of spending so much time in MMOs and MUDs.

I really like it.

Dan