[MUD-Dev] Enforced log out aka "real sleep"

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jan 30 16:26:46 CET 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Brian Hook wrote:

> That said, how do you handle games where you'd like there to be a
> "temporal balance of power"?  Specifically, you want certain
> players to be effective at certain times, and/or you want
> characters to become "fatigued" if they don't "rest" for several
> hours straight (or purchase the appropriate uppers, or whatever).

Aetolia has vampires, and while I'm not that familiar with how they
work (I don't involve myself with design issues there.) as I
understand it, they are restricted from being in the sunlight by the
fact that they take a steady, unpleasant amount of damage whenever
they are in the sunlight. However, they can still be indoors during
daylight hours, and they have an underground city, Bloodloch, that
they live in and can presumably retreat to during daylight.

I was talking to some of the Aetolia volunteers this morning, and
asking them about it. Apparently the very well-equipped vampires CAN
manage to be outside for medium periods of time, but it costs them a
lot in terms of magical healing elixirs and healing herbs.

I believe it's balanced by the fact that people simply like to be
vampires. I'm not sure how their combat skills match up with other
classes, but I'd imagine they are fairly even, perhaps
ever-so-slightly more powerful at night.

--matt