[MUD-Dev] Simutronics' premium server

Martin martin at hobgoblin.net
Tue Jan 29 17:50:10 CET 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Does anyone know whether Simutronics' premium server does well?

I started on the Dragonrealms version when it opened and am still
there, so I'll be happy to answer these questions.

For clarity's sake, it's the Platinum server and they have one for
both of their largest games, Gemstone and Dragonrealms.  Simutronics
account structure is as follows:

  Basic: $10/month, access to primary version of game.

  Premium: $29.99/month, basic plus access to restricted areas,
  reduced cost for in-game quests, some other in-game perks.

  Platinum: $39.99/month, Premium access to regular game plus access
  to Platinum version (identical world with no crossover to primary
  version).

The Dragonrealms version is tons of fun but is probably not
considered a success by business standards.  The population hovered
around 25 people online at peak while it was $79.99 and is now
around 60 after the reduction.  Many people attest this to the fact
that the main market for players was quite invested in their
characters by the time Plat came around, and didn't want to start
over.  Dragonrealms is a fantastic game, literally worlds apart from
other MUDs, but the advancement is very slow.

Many long term players of the primary version (4 years or so old
before Plat was conceived) have stated they'd have ponied up for
Plat if they could have transferred their characters over.  I agree
with the decision not to do so, but it's worth mentioning since
you're thinking about trying this model.

Those of us that play there regularly consider it an unqualified
success, however.  Being able to enjoy the incredible combat and
magic systems while interacting with 'real' characters is
spectacular.  The community and roleplaying is unlike any other I've
seen, I think 60 peak is acceptable (800 and more regularly roam the
primary version at a time) and I consider it a bargain at the
current price.

I have no data on the Gemstone version but wouldn't mind hearing about
it myself, since it's a much older world with more simultaneous players
than DR.

Martin Burke