[MUD-Dev] Simutronics' premium server

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Tue Jan 29 09:52:38 CET 2002

"Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>:

> Does anyone know whether Simutronics' premium server does well?
> Any idea what kind of max # of players online they get?

When we investigated two years ago it was not considered a success,
only drawing a couple of hundred users resulting in 10s online at
any one time. Something along the lines of 1% of their users.

At the time they had some reasons why they thought it was not
successful -- lack of critical mass (for instance, a healer might
not be on when you needed one), inability to get items from paid
quests (the charge extra for special quests like the pirates),
little GM support of custom items and RP, etc. I would also add that
I thought their price point was too high, at $79.95 it is much more
expensive then premium cable, however, if they had charged even
$49.95 they might have done better.

I don't know if they mitigated any of those problems in the two
years since that time.

-- Christopher Allen