[MUD-Dev] Economic Growth: NPC pricing

Jason Murdick osiris at arkansas.net
Mon Jan 21 07:16:46 CET 2002

At 10:36 AM 1/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> From: "Timothy Dang" <tdang at U.Arizona.EDU>
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Bobby Martin wrote:

> This seems to work well, as the last item of any type tends to
> hang around in the shop up until the moment someone is *really*
> desperate for it. Note that for "naturally" expensive items, the
> lowest possible selling price is commensurately high - I suspect
> he has the decay function for increased availability pegged to
> something like a minimum of 40% of the price when there is only
> one item available.

> All shops have unlimited supply of about 5-10 items (the basic
> items essential for trade skills, or the 2-3 most basic
> weapons/armour/shields, dependent on the type of shop), so there
> are no chances taken with someone DoS'ing newbies from the basic
> activities.

The mud codebase that I and some other people are working on
(ThickMud) has approached this with a somewhat different angle as
compared to the muds that I am familiar with. Shopkeepers alter
their prices and availability based on class and race. They also do
not have an unlimited supply of items in their inventory. For
example, Gran the Baker starts a boot with five loaves of bread, two
muffins, and an apple pie. If those are bought out very quickly (say
within an hour) then she'll be out of items to sell until her
replenishment cycle occurs. This is also set by shopkeeper, but the
default is 4 hours (game time).

- William