[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Fri Jan 18 00:13:53 CET 2002

From: "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it>

> Monolith is offeringa real expensive SDK. They're asking for a
> $100,000 base license that can grow if you want to support
> multiple platforms.  At the moment I'm evaluating their
> development system (LithTech) and I cannot say much about it. The
> best thing about it is that it's got a lot of tools to create and
> edit your models and animations, and levels also. And they're
> giving you a full featured assets manager, where you can load your
> level and place your monsters and objects and associate a
> behaviour to every one of them and you're set with a fully
> populated level without having to write a line of code.

Is the asset manager part of their "free" tools or is it part of the
pricey SDK.  Monolith is very strange.  They can't decide where they
want to be.  A couple of years ago they had offered a very nice SDK
for free -- I still have mine somewhere.  Plus they were suppose to
work on machinima tools and create a great VR cinema machine.  Where
did that project go?

> I am sure that NeL would fit well in 3D MUD development. It's
> under GPL and you can use it freely.. and usually you're going to
> release the source code of your MUD, so the GPL license is not
> giving you any trouble.

Noted. (this a postive thing)

frank