[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jan 16 11:25:06 CET 2002

From: ling at slimy.com [mailto:ling at slimy.com]

> Of course, it could be argued that the engine can be reworked, or
> there's already a Quake 2 mod to add skin and bones (or there
> probably is a project to do such a thing emerging right now).  My
> point was that if this part is deemed to be needing a rework along
> with whatever else, would the ROI on Quake 2 be worthwhile?

Well I don't think you can expect to write the next Everquest/DAoC
on it, but I think the point was to design a game around the
engine. Worse than the boneing issue I would imagine, is the BSP
based rendering engine. Whilst this is ideal for interior
environments, its no use for exterior, so you'd have to splice on a
whole different engine and put portals in to bridge (I don't know
what portaling support quake 2 has, I suspect none?).

I don't even think that rendering the dungeon walls is the hardest
part really, character animation/path finding/collision
detection/occlusion detection are all more difficult I feel, so
given that you'd have to rework so much of this to build a typical
MMORPG, I think you'd be pretty stuffed if thats what you were
aiming for.

As someone mentioned previously, it might be ideal for a Neverwinter
Nights style small group dungeon crawl type game. Of course half the
focus NWN appears to be its tools, and I don't know how many budding
GMs are going to be wanting to use complex map modeling tools.

Dan