[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Eiffel and Assertions...

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 10:50:15 CET 2002

From: "Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk>
> On 16 December 2001, Brian Hook wrote:

>> I'm curious if anyone has used Eiffel for MUD development (or
>> knows of someone that has) and what their experiences are.

> Ben Laurie, who wrote Gods (a very early MUD - circa 1985) gave a
> talk in the late 1980s where he recommended using Eiffel for
> programming MUDs. I don't know if Gods itself was ever written or
> rewritten in Eiffel, but I do know he did some serious
> MUD-oriented work using it.

Having followed the Eiffel links and read them extensively over the
last couple of days, I'm having a problem finding any real
significant differences from Java, other than the assertions. It
seems from reading the eiffel.com website that none of the
advocacy-type articles have been updated since 1995/1996, which
suggest to me that perhaps they couldn't see much of a difference
either.

On a related issue, does anyone have experience of any
assertions-libraries for java? It appears not to be particularly
difficult to write one from scratch (I can see ways of adding on all
the necessary functionality, although most of them are rather ugly),
but making it of reasonable performance, usability and stability
might take more time than I'd ever have available.

Adam M