[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Mon Jan 14 02:03:34 CET 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Noplex wrote:

> Yes, but again, the Torque engine (Tribes 2) is alot better than
> Quake 2 (in some areas) the license restrictions would probably
> push people away, Quake 2 is GPL, Torque has it's own license.

Without opening up the licensing ball of wax, I'd argue that for MUD
projects the GPL is quite a poor choice, due to the 'open code'
restrictions.  I certainly wouldn't want every player to see the
guts of the client I distribute, as that allows them to do bad
things much easier than if they don't have source code.