Issue of the "Experience" (Was Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sun Jan 13 10:14:08 CET 2002

Michelle Elbert posted on Saturday, January 12, 2002 1:20 PM

> Roleplayers are going to roleplay no matter where you put them or
> what situation they are in, Real Men are going to find a way to be
> badass, Loonies are going to be silly, and Munchkins are going to
> be annoying.  Online or off, with or without graphics.

> What we're really frustrated about here, I think, is that we
> haven't really come up with a good way to get these people to get
> along without some serious human intervention. (Which is time
> consuming and costly.)

Or, to be more specific...

  * The real men are probably still easily mocked by the loonies,
    and it hopefully doesn't disrupt their fun.

  * The munchkins don't care, as they're goal-oriented so you can
    role-play or do whatever, just don't get in their way.

  * The real men likewise aren't as concerned, as long as you don't
    get in their way.

  * The "person who uses the English accent" WILL have a problem,
    because the other players are content, and they won't play
    along.  I bet it was rather difficult to continue using an
    accent with someone who keeps asking, "What's wrong with you?"

Players are content for a lot of people, and you don't have to be a
great role-player to feel that way.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien