[MUD-Dev] TECH: Managing all your code

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Jan 10 20:05:41 CET 2002

Eric Rhea wrote on Tuesday, January 08 2002, 12:41:55:

> I'm starting to feel the strain of managing a large number of
> projects, written in various languages and with each differing in
> size, length, and purpose. I think the management aspect of this
> would be a fairly common problem - if not, then what are you doing
> to keep it all under control? Is there some common app that most
> use to handle what source you have, the purpose of that snippet,
> licensing for that particular piece, etc?

I am not quite sure what exactly you are asking for, but I'll try to
give an answer.

I tend to use simple tools: directories, textfiles and a source
control system (PRCS in my case).

Each project is mirrored by a project in the source control holding
all the files. A text file lists the project names, the source
control project name, and a short description. 'Active' projects,
i.e. those I work on or refer to often, I have checked out each into
their own directory in my 'work' directory.

Useful source snippets I collect in a dedicated 'project', and again
I use a textfile to keep track of which snippet does what.

I'm probably playing in a far smaller league than you, but this
simple approach has served me well so far.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc