[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Andrew Hefford andrew.hefford at coregen.net
Wed Jan 9 00:55:40 CET 2002

> From: Frank Crowell

> Right now QII is the closest thing to a freely available, heavily
> documented, community supported MM-whatevertherestofthisis core
> candidate.  The closest one on the engine side, is Crystalspace.
> Don't ask about virtual worlds, they have all turned into secret
> govenment research projects I think.

I would have to say Valve have been a little better at this than iD
though iD did get there first.  Support on the whole has been very
good for HL especially on the programming side, with valve employees
shadowing the HL mailing list.  There is room for improvement of
course, but for me Valve are slightly in the lead at the moment.