[MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs

Skaei at aol.com Skaei at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 20:11:05 CET 2002

In a message dated 1/7/2002 4:40:07 PM Central Standard Time,
daver at mythicentertainment.com writes:

> 1) We just opened our 3rd "Roleplay Server", the essential
> difference is a prohibition on OOC names and public chat enforced
> by CSR's.  Over 30k of our players play on "RP" designated servers
> as their primary characters, and we opened the third because the
> other two were consistently #1 and #2 on the server count.  This
> does beg the question of how you define RP.

The question of how to define RP certainly has been around a long
time.  My answer to it has always been "RP is defined by the
environment it is offered in."

Cyberpunk setting would certainly frown on Medieval setting play and
vice versa.  Perhaps a better definition could be composed in part
by saying that RP is the ability of the player to incorporate their
character into the given game setting to enhance the game setting's
authenticity."  I'm using the word authenticity loosely here due to
the fantastic nature of the majority of games.

Chris