[MUD-Dev] Boys and Girls - was (Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs)

amanda at alfar.com amanda at alfar.com
Mon Jan 7 18:51:05 CET 2002

Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

> Later, I came to the speculative conclusion that her goal was "to
> rent a movie" and mine was "to see a movie" -- while my goal would
> have been reached by either renting or watching on cable, hers
> could only have been reached by renting. Classic
> destination/journey and have/do dichotomy.

There's also a use vs. collect difference, though as with all of
these, broad generalizations are only so useful.  Example of use
vs. collect: I have a friend who likes the same sorts of movies I
do, and we watch about the same number of them.  He has a huge DVD
collection, I have a subscription to NetFlix.  I'm much more
interested in seeing movies than having them.  For one thing, if I
don't *have* them, I don't need to find room to *store* them ;-).

And how many of us have had conversations of the general form: "we
don't need this any more."  "But it's still good!"  "Yes, but we
*don't need* it any more."  "But it's *still good*!"...

> I'm going to pause for a moment here and reflect on how lucky I am
> to have a wife who not only plays games like Silent Hill, but
> complains about how stupid it is when she can't saw through doors
> like a rampaging maniac. ;)

Chuckle.

> That strikes me as a rather important distinction, since MUDs all
> seem to revolve around protecting what you have from the people
> who are trying to take it from you -- and if they don't have any
> use for it, they'll take it anyway just out of sheer meanness. ;)

It's a real problem.  As much as I've been describing my desire to
be able to build my own content in MMORPGs, balancing that against
someone else's ability to blow it up or spray graffiti all over it
is an interesting play-balance question.

Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com>