[MUD-Dev] TECH: Servers in Java

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 3 21:53:43 CET 2002

Brian Hook wrote:

> After my brief fling with different languages for implementing an
> experimental server, I'm back to Java somehow.  Eiffel had, well,
> some issues, even though the language and philosophy are

I'd love to hear more about those issues with Eiffel.  Are they
something that you're able to or interested in sharing?

> interesting.  Obj-C, as much as I love it, doesn't have true
> garbage-collection and it lacks broad support in terms of tools
> and languages.

I thought that the GNU ObjC runtime supported GC, using the Boehm
collector:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/objc-features_1.html#SEC5

> The first thing I've noticed is that Java's UDP implementation
> doesn't seem to have a non-blocking mode receive().  The apparent

This sort of thing has been added in 1.4 as far as I can tell:

   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/nio/index.html

and more specifically:

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/nio/channels/DatagramChannel.html

The java.nio APIs are based upon the NBIO work:

   http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio/

I hope that's useful.

  - Bruce

PS. This Java information was taken from:

   http://agora.cubik.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/JavaIO