[MUD-Dev] DaoC postmortem at Gamasutra

Azeraab azeraab at dies-irae.org
Thu Feb 28 02:48:09 CET 2002

In case you have not already noticed it there is a postmortem of DaoC at
gamasutra.

  http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20020213/firor_01.htm

A few comments:

  "...and that our best chance to capture public attention would be
  to have a big presence on the various role-playing fan sites
  around the Internet."

I'd say the biggest thing Mythic did for creating a buzz in the
community and even lending credibility to the game was hiring Lum.
To have leading MMORPG news/rant site shut down because Mythic hired
it's principal is something that really made people take note.

  "As good as our communication with Camelot's fan base was during
  the game's design and beta periods, it began to suffer soon after
  the game's release."

Isnt that the truth.  Since my acceptance into DaoC's beta, when the
time before it's end could be counted in hours instead of days or
weeks, until the present I've been trying to send in bug reports,
never have I gotten a response, and scant few of the bugs have
gotten fixed.  Sending an email to Mythic is like emailing into a
blackhole.  And posting on the boards is ... well if there is
anything in the universe that's more of a sucking void than a
blackhole the DaoC boards are it.  (Here's a few -
http://www.trumps.net/Azeraab/daocbugs.html)