[MUD-Dev] DCMA -- another weapon in the fight against Emulators

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Thu Feb 21 12:13:18 CET 2002

Once again the DCMA is being dragged out as a weapon against an
emulator project. This time it's Blizzard against Bnet. I suppose
the courts are no longer supporting emulator and reverse engineering
projects.  I remember at time when the semiconductor companies were
routinely "reverse engineering" each other.  The only time you could
catch the other side was if you put in dummy circuits and then saw
it reproduced in another company's chip.  The usually practice -- to
speed up reverse engineering -- was to steal the tape with the
designs or even better still the lithos.

I thought part of the agreement of the DCMA was that the copyright
holder had to show what and how their content was being used in
violation of the copyright act.  Some people thought the DCMA was
suppose to give a little breathing room for the use of copyright
content.  So far, it looks like a big choke hold for some companies.

Anyway, here is the link

  http://slashdot.org/articles/02/02/21/0136256.shtml?tid=3D127