[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Event Queue System

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Wed Feb 20 08:15:11 CET 2002

Phillip Lenhardt wrote on Sunday, February 17 2002, 01:36:03:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:50:38AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

>>   5) Maintaining a sorted list of predictively scheduled
>>   processes that involve objects which are likely to be visible
>>   to or affect the current player base (in their current
>>   positions/activities).  As the players move about and act in
>>   the world nodes are removed from the set as they pass out of
>>   range/notice and new nodes are added as additional active
>>   systems come into the range of awareness of the players.  Items
>>   are popped off the list and executed as applicable.  This
>>   effectively surrounds each player with a nimbus of "active
>>   objects" with the rest of the world lieing fallow until they
>>   are activated by a player coming into range.  For items which
>>   require the apparency of extensed state change operations (eg a
>>   lake draining thru a smashed dam), while out of player range
>>   nothing is done, upon a player coming into range the then
>>   current state of the lake etc is inferentially computed and
>>   scheduled processes are inserted from there to render the
>>   apparency of the lake having been continuously animated.

> I have heard this talked about, but I've never seen an
> implementation.  And it seems so complicated I doubt it really
> works that well anyway.

The German mud 'Morgengrauen' did this for the regeneration of mobs
after a battle. When left alone, the mobs go into stasis until the
next player wanders by; when that happens, the mob checks how much
time has passed and computes how much it has regenerated in that
period (or if it has died).

>From what I remember, this approach greatly reduced the load on the
driver as it no longer had to animate all x000 mobs, but only those
which were actually interacting with the players.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc