[MUD-Dev] Mob (NPC) behavior

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sun Feb 17 19:51:18 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>
> William Murdick wrote:

>> The overall goal is to get a situation where a player kills a
>> shopkeeper (for example). Another NPC witnesses this event and
>> this then becomes a rumor which spreads throughout the city (like
>> a disease of sorts).  Eventually this reaches the town guards and
>> they may choose to act on it by tracing back down the list of
>> witnesses to the source, at each point inquiring if each NPC has
>> seen the PC and where. The goal is to simply get the feel of
>> guards going about their duty trying to locate a criminal. If
>> they come across that PC in the street or a room they would
>> immediately try to subdue him/her and take him/her to jail to be
>> tried (and probably executed). Realism, as I said before, is the
>> goal.

>> Aside from the obvious monumental task of getting all of these
>> various parts coded and working properly, what are people's
>> opinions on this idea and potential implementation?

> If your goal is to make things "seem real", my advice is to cheat,
> a lot, with a more direct approach to creating the "end result"
> that you want the players to see.  This can increase the frequency
> of players seeing what you want them to see, and make the world
> seem more realistic to them than if it actually *were* more
> realistic.

> But if your goal is to have all this stuff *actually* happen (just
> to satisfy your own personal desire, or whatever), then I say go
> for it.  Sounds neat.  I've often wanted to put up a no-user "mud"
> with nothing on it but NPCs - even in the roles traditionally
> reserved for players: all running around, interacting, looking for
> groups, killing mobs, selling the loot on eBay, and so on.

I never thought about having a MUD made up of NPCs only, but it
sounds really intriguing.  NPCs interaction is something that is
often forgot in MUDs and MMOGs.  Games like DAoC are making NPCs
interact with players through scripts that keep track of what a
player has done, but I've still not yet seen a place where NPCs get
to know each other, remember who they met and make their own
opinions of people.  It would really be cool to have NPCs that
behave like real life people.

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli