[MUD-Dev] EULA Structure

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Sat Feb 16 18:22:09 CET 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Eli Stevens wrote:

>>> Heck, I have put a lot of energy into making my apartment a
>>> place that I like to live.  My Tri-gun wall scroll, my computer
>>> desk, my dishes, my bed.  I have cleaned it, bought new light
>>> bulbs and stocked the bathrooms with toilet paper.  And I have
>>> done all this knowing that come August, I am back on the street.
>>> If most players had the same attitude, there probably would not
>>> be lawsuits about this kind of thing.

>> Even more so, i expect, given you'd loose both your Tri-gun wall
>> scroll, your computer desk, your computer, your dishes, your bed
>> and everything in there when youre thrown out (from the analogy
>> MMOG) and youre not even allowed to sell it for cash that can be
>> used to equip the next place you decide to live in.

> That's not a valid analogy. He brought in his computer desk, etc
> from elsewhere. He doesn't get to take the walls of his apartment
> with him. In the case of a MUD, everything a player feels he or she
> owns comes from landlord.

I think its a valid analogy on the emotional level of the player.
They have spend alot of time aquirering their
character/stats/items/whatever and have much the same emotional
attachment as for any other items.

As I hint further in the post, i think that some of the sociopathic
behaviour (of whatever definition I have) may be a result in people
not being able to attach themselves as owners of virtual property,
and much of the grief involved in such games is when people
mistakenly does gain this attachement (some of the joy too, but its
not mutually exclusive).

What i tried to say was that a turn toward a EULA that spells it out
very clearly, would perhaps have a detrimental effect on some of the
players.

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|