[MUD-Dev] Girl appeal (was: Boys and Girls)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Feb 13 19:27:07 CET 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> Shrug, I have no idea why she *likes* it.

> I see you don't particularly care, either.

> If you did, you would have asked, and not needed the word
> "probably" in your next sentence -- you would have *had* an
> explanation and been able to evaluate its coherence.

> So if you don't care, why are you talking about it?

I don't know how to respond to this. Ad hominem = logical fallacy.

> Another large part would be that nobody bothers to ask.

I'm pretty sure people do ask, though I'm just guessing. I'd be
surprised to find out that Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft and
Vivendi and whatnot have done no market research, as that's what
we're talking about here.

>> Really, I have no idea if her or how her reasons for playing it
>> might differ from a man's. No one else on this list does either,
>> that I've seen.

> Oh, we have plenty of ideas. If you were paying attention, you
> might have seen them. What we *don't* have is a definitive
> *answer*, which is why we're discussing the ideas.

I should have rephrased it to read that I don't think anyone on this
list (that I've seen) is engaging in anything more than fairly
groundless speculation regarding generalizations about half the
world's population.

>> In any case, I was just countering the endless anecdotal evidence
>> with some of my own.

> Evidence supports a conclusion. Since you didn't state a
> conclusion, it wasn't evidence.

Shrug, I didn't state a conclusion because I don't have one and
don't think I have any basis for drawing one on this matter.

--matt