[MUD-Dev] Girl appeal (was: Boys and Girls)

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:51:15 CET 2002

From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>

> The only real firm conclusion I can draw from all this is that
> girls don't like games that make them cry.

Well, that's a good first step, yeah.  :) A good second step is not
making us Sick...

Growing up, I really liked Gunship.  The original, not Gunship 2000,
which was too complicated.  I would play it with a partner (either
father or brother) where one of us flew the copter and the other one
did the controls.  So that was fun.  I also liked the Ultimas, but
never finished any of the ones I played (4 and 5, and much later,
7).  I also liked Accolade's Test Drive.  Dunno what version that
was, but it was CGA.

I liked BG1, but not multiplayer.  I liked BG2 but I never finished
it cause I got too frustrated that I couldn't finish Chapter 7 even
in Easy Mode.  They really ought to make a "You Cannot Lose" option,
because failure, especially in single player games, is much too
harsh.

I really liked Fallout.  Fallout 2 (which i am replaying now,
because i never finished it), is a little more frustrating, and I
tend to run away from all random encounters, just because they take
too long and I want to get back to the Real Story.

Ultima 9 looks is sluggish and looks like crap on my P2-400, so
that's on the back burner till i upgrade.  And i hate the controls
and the zoomy-zoomy stuff that goes on.

I gotta tell you -- I am a girl gamer and I LOVE the Sims.  Love it.
People make furniture out of the Maxis furniture, and sometimes they
create their own original furniture, and put them on websites for
others to download, and i LOVE that.  I probably would've quit
playing The Sims a long time ago if it weren't for furniture
downloads.  There *are* problems with the game which frustrate me as
an "Educated Gamer" -- such as: "Geez they should've made it so the
sims could fall in love on their own" and "Why can't neighbors
change the channel on the TV" and "Sims need WAY too much sleep" and
such.  The sims, for me, consists of: "Play interior decorator and
run AI experiments."  Failed experiments make me mad at Maxis,
though -- as if they should have done this in testing and 'fixed' it
so that my experiment would work.

Strangely, I have almost zero desire to play The Sims Online.

In UO, I liked the game more than the people; in EQ I liked the
people more than the game, and DAOC I am just sort of neutral about,
all the way around.

And I definitely do not like games that make me cry.

Madrona Tree.