"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Feb 8 23:13:50 CET 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Travis Casey wrote:
> Thursday, February 07, 2002, 11:41:24 AM, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> But I don't think that's possible. Characters don't have the
>> capability to know someone else. I can get to know things about
>> Bill's character, but my character can't.

> Well, I think it is possible -- and I maintain that I've
> experienced it many times over the last twenty years.  So I guess
> we're at an impasse.  :-)

Hmm, I don't think we are. I think we can settle this pretty easily
too. If your character can know something, where is the data stored?
I maintain that it's stored in you and is thus part of you. When
you, playing a character, are talking to me, playing a character,
and we get to know each other, the information is being stored in
us. Characters are ideas, and don't have data storage
mechanisms. Avatars do, but characters and avatars aren't the same
thing, and people don't roleplay avatars. They roleplay characters
by using avatars (witness that many people play the character
Gandalf, using many different avatars).

So, I guess what I'm asking is simply, if your character knows
something, where is that knowledge stored and by what mechanism does
your character access it?

--matt