[MUD-Dev] Ethical behavior ... a hijacking.

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Fri Feb 8 16:27:06 CET 2002

--On Thursday, February 7, 2002 9:05 PM -0600 Jeff Cole
<jeff.cole at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I don't really understand the need for a distinction.  I mean
> beyond engaging in some semantic argument, what is (are) the
> substantive distinction(s)?  I have no problem referring to
> avatars instead of players or vice-versa.  For what reason,
> though, is it necessary for me to use one or the other?

Mainly, this artificial distincion is to the advantage of whomever
makes it; players use it to divorce themselves from any consequences
of their actions, game developers use it to create a legal (and
possibly public-relations) seperation for themselves from the
perception of doing something to the players directly.

Both cases are a lot like telling someone that it's their gloves
beating you up and taking your lunch money, not them, or that we're
stapling those gloves together, not your hands, so you as a person
aren't affected, respectively.

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333