[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

Christopher Kohnert chris at achaea.com
Fri Feb 8 11:31:40 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 14:18, Bobby Martin wrote:
> From: Christopher Kohnert <chris at achaea.com>
>> On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 21:25, Bobby Martin wrote:

>>> Conservation of energy is not very important in determining how
>>> much the target will move; conservation of momentum, on what
>>> part of the target the collision takes place, and biological
>>> factors (muscles going limp, etc.) are much more important.

>> This assumes rigid body dynamics, which if dealing with a live
>> human body is likely not very applicable.

> No, conservation of momentum is an absolute, whether the bodies
> are rocks, bags of water, or neutron stars.  Please provide an
> example of some situation in which a non-rigid body doesn't obey
> conservation of momentum in the obvious way (i.e. the vector sum
> of the momentum of the individual pieces is not a constant).

My degree is not in physics, so I'm likely not too qualified to
answer *G*, but I was envisioning something like a gelatinous blob
with lots of internal friction as the internal parts move against
one another. The vector sum may very well be preserved at the spot
of impact and for a very brief moment thereafter (ie. instantaneous)
but the non-rigidity, I think, would cause the 'parts' to behave in
a somewhat more complex manner than simple conservation of
momentum. I'm recalling seeing many simulations of fluid dynamics,
turbulence and flames, etc. Very hard problems, those...

Chris