[MUD-Dev] MUD Protocols?

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 09:31:51 CET 2002

From: Neil Edwards [mailto:neil at anyisle.org]

> Hi, I have currently been looking at some sites that have some
> useful MUD protocols like the MCP (compression) and MXP. Is there
> any other popular protocols that a new MUD should be aware
> of. Obviously this all depends upon the client being able to use
> these protocols so are they even worth doing? Does everyone use
> zMUD? :)

I wont disagree that compression is a good thing, but in order for
your MUD server to be accessable to all people on all platforms,
your baseline really should be plain vanilla telnet style connection
(by this I mean, open up a socket and squirt 7-bit text down it,
nothing more). Anything above that should be optional and user
configurable by the player once they are in the game.

By having this baseline, you can then be sure that even Windows
users (for whom text based applications are a deep mystery) can
connect to your server with no more effort than clicking on a
telnet:// link on a webpage.

- Jaruzel.