"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 6 02:55:31 CET 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

>> Now I know even on the Mushes I play on, that this is not the
>> case for lots of people, but it is for a surprising number of the
>> ones I've talked to. For us good Roleplaying is Being the person
>> you are playing so well that no one at all can tell, sometimes
>> not even you. :)

> But that's the point. Whether someone can tell or not, it's still
> a fake persona. And if you can't tell, then I have to question
> whether you're roleplaying, or just letting a part of your
> personality shine through that you normally would repress.

Why does it matter?  I think your notion that either you are
role-playing OR letting aspects of your own personality shine isn't
something that is mutually exclusive.  Role-play is essentially
acting.  Most actors/role-players obviously bring something of
themselves to their characters whether it be knowledge of certain
time period, culture, or aspects of their own personality.

Regarding your hooker analogy, I think it's merely a case of
context; a case of being unable to suspend disbelief.  Wives and
girlfriends are much closer and better at providing that context
where one can suspend disbelief.  As such they are much more
successful at playing fake personas IRL.  You never know... <tongue
firmly planted in cheek>

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--