"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Jon Lambert tychomud at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 6 00:00:53 CET 2002

Miroslav Silovic
> From Freeman, Jeff:

>> However, self-labeled Role-Players, from what I have seen, tend
>> to reject definitions that broad.  If you OOC, ever, then you
>> aren't roleplaying, even if you refer to your avatar in the 1st
>> person.  Roleplaying means, from that perspective, never breaking
>> character.  Or maybe it's never breaking fiction, since being
>> yourself means you cannot break character.

>> But if you don't OOC, then we're not interacting with on a
>> player-to-player level, I'm interacting with your character, or
>> not at all.

>> So, I'll revise that original statement: Not ever
>> breaking-fiction in an MMO means denying yourself a great wealth
>> of interaction with other people.

> This definition is just plain wrong, though. How about this one:

>     You are roleplaying if you clearly delineate IC and OOC
>     interactions.

> Real roleplayers usually only communicate OOCly using the proper
> channels (usually chat lines and OOC mail/bbs). This doesn't
> diminish their communication with other players on any level I can
> imagine.

> The 'no OOC communication' definition is wrong because it's
> impossible to roleplay without certain level of OOC communication
> (just go to, say, Threshold and... try to roleplay. Bletch.). I
> think there was a discussion on immersion vs roleplaying on this
> list - basically, the two are not the same thing; immersive play
> is not necessarily roleplaying, nor is roleplaying necessarily
> immersive.

Bingo.  I and few others have said on this list that the most
amenable implementations of role-playing muds are those which
implement a wealth of communications features.  Especially OOC, but
not limited to OOC.

The immersionists do not see it that way though.  The differences go
deeper than just the communications issues.  There's the big world
vs. small issue, use of props, and consent issues as well.

Yes, Threshold is a perfect example of immersionism.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--