"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORP Gs & MUDs)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Feb 5 22:32:49 CET 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:03:02 -0800
Jeff Freeman <Freeman> wrote:
> J C Lawrence quoted:
>> Paul Schwanz <paul.schwanz at east.sun.com> wrote:
>>> From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>

>>> Hmmm...I've never really thought about it like this before, but
>>> I think it is fair to say that players who go too far with the
>>> "look at me and how well I am roleplaying" approach do just as
>>> much damage to my immersion as players who are talking OOC.
>>> Both are unwanted reminders that I'm playing a game.

> Just a clarification: Although I agree with the above, Paul wrote
> it, not me.

Which incidentally, the attribution lines indicate quite clearly.

The basic rule in reading attributions:

  To find who wrote a given quoted text, look at the attribution one
  quotation level lower (ie one less leading ">").

So, in the above case the first para was written by Paul (one level
lower), and the clarification para drops back to (you) Jeff.  It can
seem a mite backwards until you look at how a message evolves and
gathers attributions and notice that the attribution is always
written by the chap at the next lower quotation level.

Just to add some spice to this, Microsoft Outlook (which should be
treated with all the favour we give most data destroying virii)
across various versions/configurations quotes differently.  Some
versions quote the headers at the same quotation level as the
message they represent, and some one level lower (quite properly).
Get a couple levels of quote together and this can make tracking
authorship problemic.

Writing as List Owner:

  To help make this area more consistent I've adopted the habit of
  flattening all Outlook quote attributes and moving them so they
  are one quote level lower than the text they refer to.  eg:

    From: Bubba
    > Something Bubba wrote here.

  In this way the standard drop-a-level pattern will continue to
  work.

  Sorry I didn't do this earlier.

--
J C Lawrence