[MUD-Dev] Source data on Crossbow

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Mon Feb 4 23:29:43 CET 2002

From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> Little note here: a year or so back, while doing some research on
> gun wound statistics for a paper RPG, I came across an article in
> the International Journal of Wound Ballistics that discussed
> people falling down as the result of being shot.  The authors
> found that there was no physical mechanism that could explain the
> observed rate, and came to what I think is a fascinating
> conclusion -- that it's psychosomatic.  People fall down when shot
> because that's what they've been trained by movies and TV to
> believe is supposed to happen when you're shot.

I wonder if it's possible to be psychosomatic. Is there enough time
to know you've been shot, to then fall over? It shouldn't be too
hard to measure this time and compare it to reflexes and conscious
actions: Find 25 people, tell them to fall when they hear a shot go
off [but don't shoot them!].

It's all a matter of timing..

    rayzam