"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORP Gs & MUDs)

Freeman Freeman
Mon Feb 4 10:03:02 CET 2002

J C Lawrence quoted:
> Paul Schwanz <paul.schwanz at east.sun.com> wrote:
>> From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>

>> Hmmm...I've never really thought about it like this before, but I
>> think it is fair to say that players who go too far with the
>> "look at me and how well I am roleplaying" approach do just as
>> much damage to my immersion as players who are talking OOC.  Both
>> are unwanted reminders that I'm playing a game.

Just a clarification: Although I agree with the above, Paul wrote
it, not me.

Well, except talking OOC doesn't really bother me.  Happens all the
time in tabletop games and it never bothered me then, so I don't
have any particular problem applying a mental filter to it in online
games.

> Perhaps a better qualifier:

>   You can't tell when a good roleplayer is roleplaying.

> It should be indistinguishable, even with considerable effort,
> from, err, reality -- which seems the real brunt of RP in many
> ways: to realise a mental character/identity construct fully.

Also agree with this: And perhaps this hits on the primary reason
why I prefer to play with people who are not roleplaying (or, as I
said in a previous email, are so good at it that I can't tell they
are doing it).

If they are just "being themselves" then they always, without fail,
realize their "mental character/identity construct fully", so to
speak, since it isn't a mental character/identity construct at all,
but rather *is* a real person.